Diabetic Eye Disease The Villages
Did you know Diabetes could affect your vision?
For the treatment of Diabetic Eye Disease in The Villages, Florida look no further than the professionals at Ram Eye Care and Retina Center. Diabetes is a very serious disease that can impact your vision causing vision loss and even blindness. Ram Eye Care and Retina Center has specialized in the treatment of diabetic eye disease since 1997. We utilize premier state of the art equipment to diagnose and treat your condition. Saving your sight is our passion!
What is diabetic eye disease?
Diabetic eye disease is a cluster of problems that can occur in individuals who have diabetes and include diabetic retinopathy, diabetic macular edema, cataracts and glaucoma. The most common form of diabetic eye disease is diabetic retinopathy. Diabetic Retinopathy is one of the leading causes of blindness in the United States. A healthy retina is required for good vision. The function of the retina is to translate images seen and transmit them to the brain for visual identification. High sugar levels can impact your retina causing vision loss or blindness. Early detection and preventative steps are critical, as this disease is not curable.
What are some of the treatments for diabetic retinopathy?
There are a number of proven treatments including the following:
- Laser Treatment – This is effective in reducing swelling in the retina by reducing the shrink the blood vessels and eliminate leaking.
- Eye Surgery
- Injections of anti-VEGF medicines are effective in slowing down and sometimes reversing retinopathy.
What can I do to help prevent diabetic eye disease?
Early detection and treatment can help you avoid vision loss!
While there is no inoculation to prevent diabetic eye disease, there are effective ways to minimize your risk. By engaging in the following you can help preserve your vision.
• Visit Ram Eye Care and Retina Center at least once a year for a comprehensive dilated eye examination – As with many diseases, diabetic eye disease does not have symptoms in its initial stages. A thorough eye examination will detect early signs of the condition allowing you to receive treatment immediately.
• Control your Blood Sugar – The effects of high blood sugar on your body range from fatigue and headaches to impaired concentration and blurred vision. It can also be a contributing factor to diabetic eye disease as high blood sugar can damage the blood vessels in your eyes.
• Control your blood pressure – Your risk for developing diabetic eye disease and experiencing vision loss is greater if your blood pressure or cholesterol is high. Keeping both under control can reduce the chance of many complications associated with diabetes.
• Schedule an appointment with Ram Eye Care and Retina Center immediately if you notice changes in your vision. Symptoms such as double vision, pain, floaters or flashes, blurred vision and tunnel vision may be symptoms of damage to your retina. Left untreated retinal conditions can cause severe vision loss and blindness.
How is diabetic retinopathy treated?
Once diagnosed, there is no cure for diabetic retinopathy. After a comprehensive dilated eye examination, a treatment plan will be initiated to help slow the progression of the disease. We will walk you through every step of your treatment plan, answer any questions you may have and provide our professional opinion of your prognosis. Each treatment is based on your individual needs and could include injectable medications, laser surgery or a vitrectomy. Our goal is to slow the progression of the disease, preserving your sight.
Why choose Ram Eye Care and Retina Center
For over 20 years, Ram Eye Care and Retina Center has provided unprecedented eye care with compassion and superior customer service. Utilizing state of the art diagnostic methods, Dr. Ramchander, M.D. provides patients and their families with a thorough understanding of the nature of their diabetic eye disease and all possible treatment options. When you choose Ram Eye Care and Retina Center, you can expect a knowledgeable and professional team in a caring environment. Dr. Ramchander, M.D. and his team understand the anxiety, stress and depression associated with diabetic eye disease, and treat every patient with the care and concern they deserve. If you or a family member feel you have an eye problem, call our office to schedule an appointment at either of our convenient locations in The Villages or Leesburg.
For a smaller office I was pleasantly surprised at the nice selection of eyeglass frames at very reasonable prices compared to other eyeglass places I have been at. I am on a fixed income so this was important to me as I have no eyecare insurance like VSP. I am sorry cannot recall her name helped fit me with a great pair of frames for my new script and I am a hard person to fit for frames. She did not rush me and was very knowledgeable with a long education and history of fitting folks with eyeglasses with a warm and welcoming personality. Top notch all the way!!
Ram Eye Care and Retina Center Proudly Offers Services to the Communities in
The Villages, Leesburg, Lady Lake, Fruitland Park, Tavares, Eustis, Mount Dora, Umatilla, Howey-in-the-Hills, Wildwood, Bushnell, Belleview